Monday, July 7, 2014

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars: New Food Friday...err...Monday...

Okay, so I was supposed to update on Saturday, but I was drained from the day before (White Peaks marched in the Provo Freedom Festival parade.  KILL-ER man.  I wanted to die this year.) and then I just got busy.  BUT despite my tired legs and fried brain I DID make a new recipe after the parade on Friday: Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars.  Doesn't that just sound 4th of July-ee?  Sort of?  Maybe?  Okay, just use your imagination.



Okay, so these cheesecake bars.  First of all, pick yourself up off the floor if you know me.  I actually made and ATE something with fruit in it.  If you don't know me...just know that I'm not a huge fruit and vegetable fan.  At all.  But these bars!  Oh these lovely sinful bars!  They were good.  The end.  Here's the recipe:

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars 
Recipe from: http://www.raininghotcoupons.com/caramel-apple-cheesecake-bars-recipe/


  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup butter, (2 sticks) cut in small chunks
  • 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons separate
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup caramel topping
  • Streusel Topping:
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup butter, cut in chunks (1 stick)
    Instructions
    Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
    1. Combine flour, brown sugar and butter chunks then use hands to combine until crumbly.Press evenly into a baking pan and bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned.
    2. Mix cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until blended then add eggs and vanilla. Pour over crust
    3. In a separate bowl stir together chopped apples, 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon.
    4. Pour over cream cheese mix evenly
    5. Combine all streusel toppings (using hands again with butter chunks to make into a crumble) and then cover apples.
    6. Bake for 30 minutes
    7. Cover with caramel drizzle
    8. Enjoy!
I'm not much of a "take pictures while I'm cooking" kind of girl.  My hands are messy and I'd just rather get in there and cook.  I guess I can work on that particular skill for the good of mankind...or rather, those who read this blog.  Is there anybody out there? (Brownie points to anyone who knows THAT reference...mmm...brownies...)  I DID take a picture of the final product though:





Obviously photography needs to go on my list of skills to acquire as well.  Shrug.  I'm not perfect. If you want better pictures, refer to the blog I got the recipe from.  It's up by the title of the recipe.

 As you can see, my dessert is missing the caramel, as that's drizzled on piece by piece.  A couple of notes on this recipe though.  Above, it never tells you what size of pan to use.  I did mine in a 9x13 pan and it was the perfect size.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm a crust girl.  I don't eat the innards of my pie and chuck the crust.  In fact, my grandma and mom and I ALL make what we call "pie crust cookies" every time we make pie.  It's just a given.  My grandma has been known to make pie crust just to make the cookies.  No actual pie made.  HOWEVER!  The bottom crust on this one was a little thick for me.  In fact, I had a second piece after it sat in the fridge overnight and my plastic fork broke on the crust.  When I make it again, I think I'll half that crust recipe.  Also, for any of you Weight Watcher kids out there, if you cut that 9x13 beauty into 20 pieces, each piece is 11 points plus.  Yeah...a little steep...but I say it's worth it!

Delicious, delicious, delicious.  The apples were still crispy (completely unexpected) and the cheesecake was cheesecake-y, and now I'm making up words.  That's my cue to leave.  Next Friday I've got TWO new recipes I'm trying.  Ambitious.  Good thing there's no school!!!




1 comment:

  1. Get in my belly.
    Also, I love your writing. All rambly and stream-of-conscious-y.

    ReplyDelete